Sand is an important part of the overall infrastructural development today. Sand Mining is thus a necessity. West Bengal has many sand blocks and Sand Mining in West Bengal is an important revenue generator as well.
Here’s more on sand and sand mining:
Origin of the word:
“Sand” is an English word which comes from Dutch word “sant”. Sant in itself has its origin from Proto-Germanic term “sandam”. Sant became Zand and Zand gradually came to be known as Sand.
Uses of Sand from Sand Mining –
Sand mining is done for many purposes:
- as a part of the concrete
- as a fill-up for dug-outs and burrows
- as part of renourishment of beaches
- is also used on snowy roads, mixed with salt, in order to lower the melting point on the road surface.
- it can replace coastline which is receding
- some uses of sand require much more purity than others. The sand that is used for concrete must normally be free of fragments like sea shells.
- often sand mining is also done for the extraction of different minerals like rutile, ilmenite and zircon because these contain elements like zirconium and titanium. These minerals are mostly found in combined condition with sand and are separated in water. This is mostly in case of sea sand.
Which are the places across the world where sand mining is practised ?
Sand mining takes places mainly in India, South Africa, Morocco and the Caribbean Islands. There are other places too where sand mining is practised but not as much as in these countries.
Which type of sand mining is done for industrial needs?
The need of sand is mainly for construction purposes as a mix for concrete. For this the sand extracted from pits is the best. Sand from river bed is used mainly as a mix for plastering since it has a smooth texture. However sand from shores is not used for construction due to its salty texture.
What is sand mining?
What is responsible sand mining?
This is the latest trend practised by those doing mining in a legal way. Here the mining is done in cooperation with the government. The focus is on doing the mining is such a way that the environment and ecology gets least affected. Here the extraction process is limited to only as much as is needed , causing the least damage to the surrounding. The process follows a demand based supply model and need based mining. Careful supervision and monitoring not only ensures safe practices but also curbs local, illegal mining activities. This has infact help put a curb on rampant sand mining practices.
These are some information about Sand and Sand Mining .